Thinking about Third Year...

So, here we are, about to enter the realm of third year at University. Honestly, I never thought I would get this far and trust me, I mean that in more ways than one.
As I'm writing this I'm sat in my new flat, full of hope and ambition for the year ahead. My parents have helped me move into Birmingham for the (potentially) last time but it feels like only a few months ago I was sitting, staring at the same screen I am now but I was full of nerves and apprehension at starting freshers. Now I have some amazing friends, learned some lessons that will stay with me for life and now, the anxiety and stress is nothing more than a dwindling subconscious thought.
Moving forward, I'm actually unusually excited about my options after uni and exploring different avenues this year to figure out what path I actually want to take. I can hear my old Photography teacher (Roger) now tutting in dismay as I finally admit that I don't think a career in photography is where my heart is turning to now. Although, I can definitely say it won't be ruled out as an outlet or tool used along the way, as Roger would say: "it's my armor." ...(if I'm honest, I'm still trying to figure out what that means).
Even though I haven't been keeping up photography perhaps as much as I would like to, I am still super proud of all my old work if I do say so myself. I think the part of the media I fell in love with the most is how a photograph can be visually seen as the same thing to everyone at a superficial level but it can mean something completely different to different people. For example, people can look at portrait photography, like Bob Willoughby's timeless black and white photos of Audrey Hepburn. People look at the images and see Audrey but also strength, grace, class or beauty etc etc. You get the point. If I can find that integral part of my passion for photography in a career that allows the same kind of understanding of diversity and creativity then...then that would just be fab.

Comments

Popular Posts