19 lessons from 2019

There are a lot of "this year sucked, 2020 is gonna be my year" feelings and tweets going around at the moment. Now, I'm all for making the most of the promise of a new year but I'm not in any rush to write off 2019 as being rubbish and blindly telling myself next year will be my year. I don't really buy into that stuff. 

Sure, this year had its low points but it also had its high ones too. I graduated, I got to see my friends graduate, I lived with some amazing people, I started a master's degree, I've moved to a completely new place and met so many talented people, I saw some incredible shows and festivals with people I love. I'm very grateful for those memories and I'm looking forward to making new ones in 2020!

A year of loss, heartbreak and personal struggles.

But also a year of love, learning, and healing. 

So here are nineteen lessons I had to learn this year (...and probably some that I'll have to learn again in 2020...no one's perfect haha).


communication is not the same as comprehension 

not everyone is going to agree with your opinions, no matter how right you think you are 

some people will teach you the hardest lessons without ever knowing they have 

things that are for you, will come back to you 

you get out what you put in 

you’re more capable than you think you are 

progress doesn’t mean you won’t have shitty days 

healing your own trauma is a daily activity 

being at peace with your own thoughts, no matter how dark is how you survive

your thoughts are not you 

if it’s scary, you should probably do it

some things just aren’t that deep 

stop chasing someone who doesn’t care as much as you do: mixed signals is a clear signal 

not all advice is good advice

get to know your worth and then don’t settle for less than you deserve 

not everyone has had the same experiences as you, respect their choices and opinions 

understand your privilege 

be kinder to the planet, this is the only one we've got


everyone is entitled to their political views. it is their right.



Here's to whatever 2020 has to offer!
December 2019


January 2019

Comments

Popular Posts