Let's Talk: Protecting your Mindset


1 in 4 people experience a mental health problem every year. 

I've seen a lot of fluff online about self care and how taking a bubble bath will magically cure a worrysome mind. While I can appreciate the wonders a lush bath bomb creates for putting you into a state of relaxation, when it comes to looking after your mental health, it takes a bit more patience and time than an at-home-spa session.

Pulling yourself out of a dark place takes an incredible amount of strength that people don't always realise they are capable of. I know that I didn't think I was two years ago and I went into counselling, which I would go as far to say, saved me from myself. Although, I know it's not for everyone, from my point of view, those sessions gave me some of the most valuable lesssons about myself and how my mind works that I have been especially grateful for over recent weeks. 

My point here is that, getting to know how your mind works and recognising behaviours, that you maybe don't understand or even notice, that are maintaing a negative mind space and stopping you from regaining control of your thoughts. 

A lot of aesthetically pleasing instagram pages always say positivity is a choice, and it is, BUT without creating a head space rational enough to allow your thoughts to consider the option to replace negativity with healthier vibes can feel next to impossible. Especially if you're an expert over-thinker like me, curtosy of anxiety. 

So, your mindset isn't something you can change over night with bubble baths and pretty instagram accounts. Great. How do we do it then?

Wish I had some profound answer to that but sadly not.


The past few weeks I have been going through it, as I'm sure a lot of others have been as well, with the end of uni and everything else life throws at us. I know that, for me, I need space to realign my priorities and thoughts on my own, which is a trait that some people don't agree with and would even say its toxic.

However, taking ownership of what you know you want and need is the best way to look out for yourself and start taking care of yourself and your mind. I always struggle letting go of things I find comfort in or use a distraction from dealing with my own thoughts, and the process of doing this often makes things worse before they get better. It takes courage to let go of everything that's no longer for you.

But there's that saying, you've survived 100% of your bad days, and it's so true. The only thing in the way of changing your mindset is yourself. It won't be a straight road and it takes a whole lot of patience with yourself but trust me its worth it. And your true friends and family will respect your boundaries while you fix yourself and they'll be there when you're ready.


If I can do it, you defintiely can.

Also, I'd just like to point out I'm not an expert and I still don't understand all there is to know about mental health, I can only speak from my experience with depression and anxiety. 

Statistics from mind.com.




Comments

Popular Posts