Reflecting on Third Year

We graduated!! First Class Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Criminology and Security Studies 2019. I've never been more proud of my friends and myself. 

Here's the responses to the notes and hopes I had for myself almost a year ago.

You can read the first post here.

1. 
I'm now 11 months older than when I wrote my post with 21 notes to my future self and I know I tweet it bimonthly but I have no shame and I'm still amazed with how much can change in a year.
where you are now is not where you will be forever and that is both a blessing AND a damn shame. 
still true.

Safe to say uni continued to give me some of the worst times of my life but it also kepts bringing good memories and people into my life. Going back to cheerleading half way through the year was the best decision I made. It had ups and downs but I don't have any regrets.

2.
I did make my mind up on a dissertation topic and I can confirm: it was just as stressful as I thought it would be.

My disso was on the global endemic of violence against women and its relationship to the military and militarism, which is something I hope to research more during my masters.

Yep. You read that right and in case you didn't already know, come September, I am moving to beautiful Devon to study a masters degree at the University of Exeter. And I can't bloody wait.

3.
My new job as a student voice assisstant was good and it helped me meet some incredible people who never failed to amaze me.

4.
Sadly, this year I did not find a way to travel more. Time and money as a third year at uni is scarce to say the least. Better luck next year.

5.
I like to think I did more things because I wanted to do them and not becuase either everyone else was or wasn't.

This year I survived my third and final year of SportsVest (always fun and games, and still no regrets) but I did it without the comfort of my OG cheer pals. Fair to say organising and being on tour this year put my social anxiety to the test but I'm still alive so it can't have been that bad.

Here's to doing more of what I want to do and listening tto myself.

6.
Rereading my old post for this I can tell I was in such a good place mentally and I still am but in a different way. Anyone who has struggled with anxiety and depression long enough will probably know what I'm talking about. I've been constantly evolving and there have been bad patches and insanely  good patches.

The last 11 months have taught me heartbreak, loss and that you won't be okay 100% of the time and that's fine.

7.
Right now I'm grateful for everything life has thrown at me so far because I wouldn't be who I am now. I'm looking forward to the future for the first time in over a year and I'm excited to use the lessons I've already learnt whilst at uni AND the ones to come.

8.
Still love music. That hasn't changed. Lizzo dominates most of my playlists at the moment.

9.
Well I can confirm that I'm not back in that terrifying, out of control and helpless state of mind I was in during my second year. It's not been a walk in the park but I'm not where I was and that is a relief and a mantra in itself.

I have some truly amazing friends who have supported me and this year I'm so happy to say that I've been in a better position to be there for them as well. I wouldn't be graduating with a first class degree, in the best mental health place I've been since first year without them.

Alotta love.

10.
Still haven't really read for fun.

11.
I lost motivation for writing for fun as well. But I did enjoy the topics I chose to study and write about this year, which counts for something I guess.

12.
I have been working on not comparing myself to others but I'd be lying if I said I didn't struggle with this one and I'll continue to try and stop. One thing at a time.

13.
Sweetener by Ariana Grande is still a bop. Thank you, next was perfectly timed though for me, let's just say that.

14.
Visited London a lot. Never made it to York, sadly.

15.
Can confirm: I've definitely made more of an effort to speak up more, mainly on a one-to-one level. Baby steps.

16.
I did get that tattoo. And I bloody love it.

17.
I'm graduating with a first bitches!!!

18.
Still suck at pub quizzes. Probably always will.

19.
I have some bloody amazing friends and I'm gonna miss living with them next year. Looking forward to meeting some new people down south though!

20.
I'm better at apologising when I'm in an irritable mood or in the wrong.

21.
I'm still excited.

Comments

Popular Posts